6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Term 3 2018 (On-campus block of classes)
Basic computer proficiency.
This unit aims to equip global health practitioners with a practical understanding of the impact of infectious diseases on global health equity. The unit will explore:
- key existing and emerging diseases of global health importance
- the historical context, determinants and epidemiology of key infectious diseases
- the existing and needed global policies, public health responses and effective health care delivery models in resource-limited settings for key infectious diseases
The unit will be taught by instructors with field experience and will draw on case studies and practical examples from resource-limited settings.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to identify the key infectious diseases of global public health importance and demonstrate an understanding of:
- their historical context, determinants, epidemiology and impact on health equity
- the global policies, public health responses and effective practices for prevention, treatment and care at both an individual, community and population level
- the principles, approaches and challenges for effective health care delivery models in resource-limited settings.
- Problem-based learning group presentation (15%)
- Policy brief on group topic (25%)
- Concept note (500 words) (5%)
- Written assignment: Infectious disease program design (3,500 words) (55%)
Unit discontinuation and penalty dates for these units are different to other units taught in the same teaching period.
Please refer to the information available on the Faculty's non-standard teaching datesFaculty's non-standard teaching dates (http://www.med.monash.edu.au/enrolments/non-standard-dates.html) page to avoid academic and financial penaltiesacademic and financial penalties (http://www.monash.edu/enrolments/processes/change/add-or-discontinue-units#penalties).
See also Unit timetable information