6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Not offered in 2018
Must be enrolled in course 4528, 4529, M6007 or M6021
The aim of this unit is to provide health service managers and public health practitioners with the knowledge and skills to manage health care organisational units.
Over 6 weekly modules students will explore key management theories, leadership skills, managing health professionals, designing and coordinating health professional work processes, managing change and projects.
Each module includes an overview of the relevant concepts and resources, guided readings and online, instructor moderated, discussions of applied issues with student peers.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Apply general theories of organisation and management to health care organisational settings
- Design organisational roles and structures to manage clinical and support services
- Apply coordinating mechanisms in clinical and public health organisations
- Implement staff recruitment processes
- Design and manage staff performance systems
- Apply principles of change management to improve organisational performance
- Develop strategic plans
- Implement effective project management.
- Responses to 6 weekly forum discussion topics (45%) (hurdle)
- Written assignment (1,500 words) (25%)
- Written assignment (2,000 words) (30%)
Off-campus: 20 hours per week for 6 weeks.
See also Unit timetable information